KONP radio began regular broadcasting at 6:30 a.m.
on February 3, 1945. It was in 1937 that the Evening
Press Inc., a subsidiary of the Port Angeles Evening
News Inc., first sought an AM radio license for the
city of Port Angeles. Final FCC approval was delayed
nearly 8 years due to international reallocation
of frequencies, then suspension of all newspaper
applications, and finally wartime suspension of all
The construction of KONP was followed quite closely
by the Port Angeles Evening News and the Olympic
Tribune. From the delivery of the 180 - foot Douglas
fir cut in Indian Valley to be used as KONP's first
radio tower, to the lighting of the tower's red beacon
that was visible for many miles. Port Angeles finally
had its own radio station! News was provided by United
Press News of the World.
The first broadcast featured a piano and chatter
program with Al Smith of CJVI in Victoria and music
provided by the Port Angeles Concert Orchestra. Salutes
from other northwest radio stations and local church
services made up the second day of programming.
years, KONP provided Top 40 music. This music programming,
which started with the sounds of the 'Big Band era'
and popular artists of the time, progressed well
into the 90's. In the mid 90's, KONP changed it's
on-air moniker to "Newsradio 1450 KONP"
and switched to all news and talk format
has had several changes in ownership over the years,
but continues to provide Port Angeles and surrounding
areas with dedication and pride. Offering the most
comprehensive local programming on the Peninsula,
KONP provides local news, regional and national
and world news, sports, talk, and up to date information
about community events. KONP has won numerous awards
and recognition for it's news and community information
listeners rely on KONP for traffic information,
weather information, and most of all as the local
'home' of all the Seattle sports franchises.