No appeal for terrorist arrested in Port Angeles
November 29th, 2012 - 5:45am
(Seattle) - A 37-year prison sentence will stand for a convicted terrorist arrested in Port Angeles nearly 13 years ago.
The Justice Department said Wednesday it won't appeal the punishment for Ahmed Ressam, an al-Qaida-trained terrorist who was arrested driving of the MV Coho with a trunk full of explosives in December 1999.
U.S. District Judge John C. Coughenour sentenced Ressam for the third time last month, after two prior attempts were struck down by appeals courts.
Federal prosecutors argued for a life sentence. But Seattle U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan says the 37-year term will keep Ressam in custody until he's over 60, and at that point he'll be deported and could face additional charges in Algeria.
Ressam's lawyers also decided not to appeal.
Ressam planned to drive Los Angeles to blow up the airport there at the turn of the millennium.
Email This Story
LATEST NEWS ITEMS: