Port Angeles-based, mold-snifing dog dies
May 16th, 2013 - 5:37am
(Port Angeles) -- A unique dog specially trained for sniffing out mold and lived in Port Angeles, has died.
Zena passed away this week at the age of eight. Her K-9 partner, Paul Collins, says there was no conclusive diagnosis as to the cause of her death, but she had been suffering from digestive problems over the past year.
Zena went into service in 2006 and helped more than 100 people determine if toxic mold was present in their home or business. Collins says the Belgian Malinois could detect more than 20 types of toxic mold and could pick out low levels of spores traditional mold detection methods would miss.
In 2008, Collins and Zena volunteers to help people in Pacific after devastating flooding there. In one day, Zena visited more than 15 homes and an apartment complex that sustained water damage.
Collins says he plans to try to find a new mold-sniffing dog. But he says veterinary bills have piled up to more than $3000. A fund has been set up at KeyBank if you'd like to help Collins pay the bills and fund a future mold-sniffing dog.
Email This Story
LATEST NEWS ITEMS: