Outbuilding burns west of Port Angeles Sunday
May 20th, 2013 - 2:36pm
(Port Angeles) -- An out building on Highway 101 near milepost 241 burned to the ground Sunday afternoon.
It was first reported at 4:30 p.m. by a passing motorist.
Officials say the property owner had been burning vegetation in a small pile, but left the fire
unattended to mow his lawn.
Afternoon winds pushed the debris fire igniting the outbuilding and destroying it
Fire District personnel estimate the loss at approximately 25-hundred dollars for the shed and its contents.
They say all vegetation fires require a written permit inside Fire District 2 and must be constantly attended until extinguished.
They urge property owners to use extreme caution when burning natural vegetation and to remain
in attendance with a garden hose or other extinguishing tools until the fire is dead out.
Additional information on outdoor burning is available online at www.clallamfire2.org.
Fire District 2 responded with two engines, two command vehicles and twelve firefighters.
The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes.
They were assisted by Elwha Tribal Police who arrived first and assisted with traffic control on
the busy highway.
For a brief period of time there was a concern of a motor vehicle accident due to smoke drifting across
Email This Story
LATEST NEWS ITEMS: